What is Gua Sha/Scraping?
Have you ever seen somebody with faint red or purple markings on their back or shoulder and wondered what they are? Those are the results of Gua sha, an ancient therapeutic method sometimes called “scraping.” While the name and the marks might seem intimidating, many find it incredibly relaxing and beneficial.
Chinese medicine believes that Qi (energy) and blood circulate harmoniously throughout the body. Stagnation of these elements can lead to discomfort, tension, and, eventually, disease. Gua sha mobilizes this stagnant energy, restoring the body’s natural equilibrium.
After applying massage oil, a specialized tool is utilized to scrape the skin’s surface. This action might produce small red or purple dots, known as petechia, which typically disappear between 2-5 days. Rather than causing discomfort, this method typically feels soothing and can significantly aid health and wellness.
- Gua sha boosts microcirculation, increasing blood flow, oxygen, and vital nutrients in the areas treated.
- Anti-inflammatory and immune-boosting properties. The appearance of those purplish marks, as a result of ruptured capillaries, triggers the body’s healing mechanisms, releasing anti-inflammatory and immunoregulating substances.
- Pain alleviation. Gua sha is recognized for its pain-reducing effects.
Why get Gua Sha/Scraping treatment?
Gua Sha can be a good treatment for:
- Pain: neck, shoulders, back, etc.
- Headaches, TMJ pain, Bells’ Palsy
- Muscle tightness and tension
- Respiratory conditions: colds, asthma, bronchitis
- Breast engorgement during lactation
- Perimenopausal hot flashes, sweating, headaches, and insomnia
- Facial rejuvenation. When done for cosmetic purposes, it is very gentle and does not leave purple marks on the skin. It is widely used for wrinkles, sagging, facial discoloration, and under-the-eye puffiness
While Gua Sha is super safe, there are some contraindications. Recent trauma, burns, or scratches should be avoided during Gua sha.
I absolutely adore Gua Sha! If you have never tried it, especially for muscle tightness or tension, you are missing out on its amazing results. If you want to know if Gua sha is the proper treatment for you, schedule a FREE consultation today.
Let’s get scrapping!
Your Body’s Ability To Heal Itself Is
Powerful & Strong.
Let us help awaken these resources with our 100% natural medicine. The name of our Clinic “Alivia” comes from the Spanish language and it means to heal, to soothe, to ease, to get better; and that is our mission, to make YOUR life better by helping you be healthy and stay healthy so you can live a fulfilling and happy life.