I am so excited to share that I am now offering holistic microneedling at the clinic.
Have you ever heard of microneedling? If you have not, keep reading, you will find important and helpful information about it.
What is micro-needling?
Micro-needling is a minimally invasive procedure that uses a handheld device that contains very fine and tiny needles that puncture the skin to induce collagen production and increase the absorption of products through the skin.
How does it work?
The needles used in micro-needling create microscopic channels or holes in the skin. This controlled injury or “micro-trauma” starts a healing process in our body to repair the wounds. During this process, new collagen and elastin are formed, as well as new blood vessels to improve blood supply. This results in skin thickening reducing wrinkles, scars and may improve other skin conditions.
What conditions does micro-needling treat?
Microneedling has been shown to be beneficial for facial rejuvenation, sagging skin, stretch marks, scars, hyperpigmentation, age spots, mild rosacea, acne, enlarged pores, and even hair loss.
What to expect during a treatment?
The treatment lasts approximately an hour. It includes skin cleansing followed by microneedling using a hyaluronic acid infusion, facial massage with anti-aging apple stem cells serum, or the serum appropriate for your skin type. After that, a collagen and aloe vera mask will be placed for a few minutes. Next, top-of-the-line red light therapy will be used to boost even more collagen production and reduce the inflammation that occurs after the treatment.
Are there any contraindications?
Microneedling cannot be done on open skin wounds, broken skin, blisters, active acne, in the presence of cold sores, rashes, psoriasis, eczema, pustular or nodular rosacea, and on keloid scars. If you are prone to keloids, this treatment might not be for you.
If you are taking anticoagulation medications, consult with your prescribing physician.
Some medications and antibiotics can cause photosensitivity, and micro-needling should not be performed if you are taking them.
It is not recommended to do microneedling during pregnancy or lactation.
It is not recommended if you have diabetes.
It can not be done in areas with tattoos. That includes permanent makeup and microblading.
You can not have been treated for skin cancer in the desired treatment area.
How many treatments do I need?
Treatments build upon one another, and it is best to do at least four treatments for best results. However, you may start seeing results from the beginning. After the first treatment, your skin can feel tighter and look fresh, but the increase in collagen begins within 48 hours and can take at least four weeks for results to be seen.
After the results are achieved, microneedling effects last for at least 3-5 years, making micro-needling a long-lasting treatment.
How often can I do it?
Treatments should be performed no more than once every month.
How can I prepare for a treatment?
- Do not use any retinol, vitamin A creams, or topical medications five days before microneedling and a week after the treatment.
- No sun exposure (including tanning beds) at least 24 hours before the treatment, preferably one week.
- Do not have chemical peels or any injections (botox or fillers) 2-3 weeks prior to and after the treatment.
- No waxing or chemical depilatories two weeks prior to and after the treatment.
- Accutane and any other photosensitizing medication should be discontinued for at least six months before receiving treatment and should not be used during your course of treatment.
What makes microneedling different from facials, Microderm, peels, or other facial rejuvenation treatments?
Facials, microdermabrasion, and peels remove the skin’s external layer, increasing recovery time, the risk of infection, and dehydration.
Microneedling keeps the top layer of the skin intact, protecting deeper layers during rejuvenation.
Why do it at Alivia Acupuncture Clinic?
In our clinic, we follow a holistic approach. What does that mean?
- We use natural substances during the treatment. Microneedling increases transdermal absorption, so we must ensure that whatever goes into the skin is top quality and clean.
- We use the least invasive technique possible. Research has shown that we can achieve the same results with minor damage to the skin, so if you have seen those photos with blood in the face during microneedling, that will not be the case at our clinic. The procedure is not painful, and a topical anesthetic (cream) is even optional.
- We apply the principles of Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) to modern microneedling, which improves the results of the treatments. The serums used during the procedure have different Chinese herbs on them. Therefore, the formula chosen for you will be according to your needs.
The use of acupuncture needles for cosmetic purposes has existed for hundreds or thousands of years, and it is, of course, very different from modern microneedling. However, its existence for such a long time has proved its effectiveness over many generations.
In brief microneedling:
- Will naturally rejuvenate wrinkles without any painful surgery or injections!
- Increases topical serum absorption by 2000%, making it a perfect way to integrate herbal topicals into your skin.
- Is quick, safe, and effective.
- Has minimal downtime.
- It will make your skin look radiant.
- Has long-lasting effects.
Don’t hesitate to contact me with any questions.